Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Triathlon!

The previous summer, I had a crazy idea to do a triathlon. I wanted to accomplish some sort of athletic feat but I didn't want to do a marathon (4 hours of running? no thanks). So I decided on a triathlon because it sounded just as impressive as a marathon but wouldn't take as long to do. The problem was that I didn't have a bike and hadn't actually swam (laps) in 20 years! I signed up for adult swim lessons late last fall, which helped me tremendously. I also discovered that I really enjoyed swimming. I didn't buy my bike until June, 2 months before my triathlon. I figured that the biking part would be easy...I didn't take into account that the tires on racing bikes are thinner than others making it harder to balance. I was a bit wobbly my first day out but thank goodness, it didn't take long to get used to the bike. The day of my triathlon arrived and I felt nervous but pretty prepared. I signed up to do a sprint triathlon, which is a 1/4 mile swim, 12.6 bike ride, and a 5k run and it was probably the most difficult thing, physically, I have ever done. During my run, I swore I would never do another triathlon. However, when I crossed the finish line and felt that huge sense of accomplishment, I thought that there may be more triathlons in my future.


3 comments:

annjeanette said...

That is awesome! Good for you! I hope to do a half marathon next fall. By the way, will you send me your email address. I think it got deleted or something from my list. Thanks. annjeanettem@gmail.com

Koch Clan said...

I am still so impressed you did that! Amazing! You worked hard to train for it. Way to go! We still need to get together soon! I miss you!

Nikki said...

WOW!!! Congrats! What an amazing thing to accomplish! I feel the same way when I give birth naturally! hahaha anyway, I am way impressed!!